I'm a non-EU citizen about to become an Italian Citizen by descent. My wife, also non-EU citizen is with me but has already overstayed her 90-day Schengen visa-free entry.
We would like to permanently settle in the EU, but in Sweden rather than Italy.
Is there a way for us to legally move to Sweden and request the residence for her there? Taking into account that she is in an irregular Schengen situation right now.
- We're currently located in Italy. I'm a registered resident but she's not. She only has the dichiarazione di presenza with the same address as me.
- The question obviously refers to after I become a full EU citizen.
- I have already applied and handled the process for the citizenship, this question does not refer to that process, only to my wife's situation.
- She can't request the citizenship by marriage yet, that would be our definitive plan, but we still have to wait a couple of years for her to be eligible.
- We have researched the permesso di soggiorno per motivi familiari but even though it would regularize her situation, we have two problems: First, it would take many months without us being able to leave Italy. And also, it would make her an Italian resident, not the outcome we are looking for.