I am moving to the UK from India on work visa and thinking of moving with following electronics:

  1. Two MacBooks (both are work laptops)
  2. Two mobile phones (both are work phones)
  3. One personal mobile
  4. An Xbox
  5. A couple of headphones

The combined value of these items is well above the allowed personal limit. Do I still need to declare these to customs, if I am only using these for personal use? And will be taking them back with me if I leave the country

  • Are the company goods their propriety or are they yours? Mar 4, 2022 at 12:51

1 Answer 1


The HMRC has a website (link) that'll tell you if, and how much is owed, you need to declare your personal goods.

Are the work electronics yours or your your company's? I'd believe, if they're company devices, don't quote me on this that it will not count but contact HMRC before doing anything

For the other items, sure, it will need to be appropriately declared (if applicable)

EDIT: As per @Traveler comment, a better link to your situation is the one to use when you move to the UK and not just visit, link

According to the site, you might be able to invoke a Transfer of Residence claim to be relieved from tax/duties. If you don't qualify, the original answer still stands

  • 2
    This link gov.uk/moving-to-uk is more appropriate, given the OP has a work visa and is presumably transferring their place of residence to the UK. The question really belongs on Expatriates
    – Traveller
    Mar 4, 2022 at 12:59
  • Yes, that is better, will edit @Traveller Mar 4, 2022 at 13:00
  • Thank you so much. This is helpful :)
    – mavrk
    Mar 6, 2022 at 12:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.