I lived in the USA for over 30 years. I am a resident of Italy for over 10 years. I just came back to the States for sending my belongings kept in storage in Chicago. I contacted many international shipping companies requesting a 20' container to transport my items from Chicago to my house in Italy. They all seem to have a problem with me, being a resident of Italy. They all think that it's a relocation and I need to fill out a Relocation Form supplied by the Italian Consulate. I am already a resident!!!!! They don'y seem to understand. Where can I find an International shipping company that would provide me with a container, fill it up and ship it door-to-door to Italy without problems?

  • 1
    You say you are a "resident" of Italy. Are you an Italian citizen? Apr 11, 2022 at 14:50
  • 1
    In my (limited) experience, relocations are typically exempted from import duties. It is probably in your financial interest not to go out of your way to avoid characterizing the shipment as a relocation.
    – phoog
    Apr 11, 2022 at 19:26

1 Answer 1


You are relocating your personal belongings. The belongings are yours now and will still be yours after shipping. Therefore, you should use a relocation form.

Someone I know used a regular shipping company to ship her stuff from the US to the UK, rather than a moving company with a relocation company. Upon arrival, she had to pay significant import duties. I relocated my stuff with a relocation company from Canada to the UK (when it was still in the EU) and paid no import duties. But — there was no consulate involved; the shipping form was provided by the moving company.

The fact that your stuff moves 10 years later than you do doesn't matter.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.