I searched on the Google and found out both divorce and summary dissolution filing seem to take 6 months to be approved/legally accepted.

So what would be the status of someone whose visa is a dependent one like a F-2 visa holder? Should s/he leave the US as soon as the filed the divorce/dissolution?

Also want to know, can s/he get married with somebody else(a US citizen) the day they filed divorce/dissolution? If no, should s/he leave the US and request for remarrying a US citizen or s/he can stay in the state until divorce/dissolution happens then s/he can file a new marriage request?

1 Answer 1


Generally, the two people remain legally married until the divorce is final. So the F-2 spouse can continue to be on F-2 status while the divorce is pending. And neither spouse can re-marry while the divorce is pending.

  • In the US, marriage and divorce is civil, not religious. To terminate a marriage, one must go through a dissolution as provided by state law. Usually or often, state law contains a 6-month waiting period. One can get a "tentative" or "provisional" or "interim" decree of dissolution while the divorce proceedings are pending, but the parties are not divorced and cannot remarry until the court issues a final judgment terminating the marriage. May 9, 2022 at 2:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.