Is it permissible to have pre-existing employment with a non-US company, then go on unpaid leave, then enter the US and study in the US with an F-1 visa while being on unpaid leave with that non-US company? As far as I know, working for a non-US company is not permissible on an F-1 visa, but in this case no work would be done nor compensation received. Thanks.

1 Answer 1


The law doesn't forbid being on the rolls as an employee on leave. It forbids working.

That said - for legal advice talk to a licensed attorney.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.