I previously resided in Japan, but I left the country two years ago and no longer have residence status. What are my options for accessing the money I left in my Japan Post Bank account there?

More info:

  • I did not sign up for internet banking with JP Bank, and my account is not linked to any money transfer services or cards that can be used overseas.
  • I do not have my My Number certificate or card in my possession, only the number itself.
  • I do not have any connections currently in Japan whom I am comfortable asking to handle a financial issue.
  • 2
    Return to Japan as a visitor and go to the relevant branch to request to access the money in person?
    – Traveller
    Jun 29, 2022 at 22:47

1 Answer 1


From personal experience, it is effectively impossible to access a Japanese bank account from overseas if you did not set up Internet banking or an internationally networked credit/debit card before you left. This is the case even if you have a trusted intermediary (relative etc) to file paperwork on your behalf.

Fintech services etc will not help here, because even though they might help you get the money out of the country, you still need to transfer money domestically from your account to their local holding account.

Realistically speaking, you'll need to either return to Japan in person to withdraw the money, or entrust your ATM card and its PIN code to somebody physically in Japan (living or visiting) who can do it for you.

  • how about getting it through japanese embassy?
    – user0193
    Jul 2, 2022 at 15:33
  • 3
    @user0193 The banking arrangements of a foreign citizen with a Japanese bank are of absolutely no interest to the Japanese Embassy. Jul 2, 2022 at 15:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.