I’m working in Germany on a work visa at the moment. My permit to stay is valid until 2026 at a certain job place. How can I change this to be self-employed in Germany? Should I go to the Immigration office and ask there?

  • 2
    Yes, that would be a first step in the right direction. Getting a experienced tax adviser, that specializes in self employment, would be even better. Commented Jul 31, 2022 at 4:51

1 Answer 1


The German immigration law differentiates between "freelance" (single person delivers services) and "self-employed" (company owner). In Berlin, this applies: https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/dienstleistungen/service.871055.php/dienstleistung/328332/en/ (freelance) https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/dienstleistungen/service.871055.php/dienstleistung/305249/en/ (self-employed) Processing times here are a few months (!) In other cities, it should be similar.

--> Your current permit for employment allows freelance/self-employment only on the side of your employment (unless it states that it's not allowed). --> You may only start the new activity in fulltime after you received the immigration office's approval.

  • 1
    Most employment contracts state that it's not allowed. A better phrase would be '(only when your present employer has given their written consent)'. Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 10:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.