I read on bu.edu/isso:

The U.S. Department of State (“DOS”) has issued guidance to consular officers in China that could result in shorter visas for a small number of Chinese students beginning June 11, 2018. While most Chinese nationals began receiving a multiple-entry F-1 student visa for a maximum of five years beginning November 14, 2014, graduate students who are studying in major fields related to robotics, aviation, and high-tech manufacturing may, at the discretion of the consular officer, now receive a multiple entry visa for a shorter 1-year time frame.

How does the consular officer decide whether to grant a 1-year or 5-year F1 visa to Chinese students?

  • USCIS doesn't issue visas. US visas are issued by US consulates and embassies, which are part of the Department of State.
    – user102008
    Aug 8, 2022 at 4:28
  • @user102008 thanks, fixed Aug 8, 2022 at 4:51

1 Answer 1


The main source of information I can find is this AP news article from May 2018, which says:

The State Department did not provide specifics. But a U.S. official said that according to instructions sent to U.S. embassies and consulates, Chinese graduate students will be limited to one-year visas if they are studying in fields like robotics, aviation and high-tech manufacturing. China identified those areas as priorities in its “Made in China” 2025 manufacturing plan.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.