My partner will be applying for a UK spouse visa after we marry next year.

He is in the US and had his driving license suspended for 3 months due to crashes with the work van last year.

He still doesn’t have his driving license, we hoped to apply in about 6 months. Will this go against him?

  • What kind of license was suspended? His driving license? A working license?
    – Joren Vandamme
    Commented Aug 21, 2022 at 10:24
  • 1
    Was he convicted of any driving offences?
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 21, 2022 at 10:34
  • 3
    @JorenVandamme because the first sound in "UK" is "you," the correct indefinite article is "a," not "an."
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 21, 2022 at 16:55
  • 1
    @phoog Dang I didn't know that. Today I learned. Thanks!
    – Joren Vandamme
    Commented Aug 22, 2022 at 6:25
  • 1
    @JorenVandamme you're welcome. It's a very common misapplication of the rule (dozens of examples on this site) that stems from the rule being taught in somewhat oversimplified terms (namely that teachers sometimes neglect to teach that "begins with a vowel" must be evaluated in phonetic terms rather than orthographically). The only vowel that is really a problem is u, of course, but there's also h, where even native English speakers disagree about how to treat it when it isn't silent ("an history" or "a history"?).
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 22, 2022 at 10:27

1 Answer 1



If you are applying for entry clearance under any of the following visa routes, you must provide a criminal record certificate for any country (excluding the UK) where you have lived for 12 months or more (whether continuous or in total), in the 10 years before your application, while aged 18 or over.

  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
  • Tier 1 (Investor)
  • Skilled Worker in education, health or social care sectors (see below)
  • Dependent partner (over 18 years old) of the main applicant in any of the above routes, either together with the main applicant or separately

Visa applicants in all other routes are not currently required to provide criminal record certificates. Also, those already in the UK seeking to extend their stay in one of the above categories are not presently included.

Emphasis mine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.