My wife and I are both Indonesian nationals, currently living in the UK on a Tier 2 Visa.

We had a baby born in the UK recently. He has a birth certificate and no passport. How do we get him a permission to stay in the UK?


1 Answer 1


Being born in the UK is generally not enough to satisfy the UK citizenship requirements. From the information you have provided, your son will likely not qualify. You will need to apply for a tier 2 dependent visa for your son. The application will require your son to have a valid passport. My understanding of the UKBA rules are that you do not need to apply immediately for the dependent visa. However, your son will need the dependent visa to renter the UK if he has to leave the country for an emergency.

  • To re-enter, visa notwithstanding, he will need a passport anyway...
    – Karlson
    Jun 12, 2014 at 22:32
  • Does he need a visa if we all only leave UK after my visa runs out?
    – adipro
    Jun 13, 2014 at 6:00
  • 2
    @adipro you do not need a visa to leave the UK. You only need the visa to enter the UK. You generally need a passport, and potentially a visa, to enter a country.
    – StrongBad
    Jun 13, 2014 at 6:13
  • 1
    This answer is not accurate anymore on several points, e.g. I have applied for my baby’s visa prior to getting a passport. See a more recent question: expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/8375/… Sep 20, 2016 at 12:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.