If a highly educated non-Arab Muslim converts to Judaism and learns Hebrew, what kind of opportunity does the state of Israel offer to that person?

Is there anything to expect? Or is it just another person seeking an advantage?

  • This question has led to a discussion on meta
    – ouflak
    Commented Oct 11, 2022 at 10:27

1 Answer 1


The Israeli Law of Return doesn't define who's considered "a Jew". But, anyone who is considered a Jew, is guaranteed permanent residency (and in most cases citizenship) in Israel (with very few exceptions for criminals and security risks).

So if anyone converts into Judaism (no matter from what religion or in what country) and is accepted as "a Jew" by the Israeli government - they can come and settle in Israel under the Law of Return.

The Israeli government usually uses the Orthodox Judaism as the source of the interpretation of the question "who's a Jew". The Jewish Agency is usually the one tasked with the actual determination of the eligibility.

The convert needs to undergo a conversion with a Rabbi recognized by the Israeli Rabbinical Court, and that Rabbi would then be providing the necessary support and attestations for the convert's visa application.

The whole process would probably take many years, Judaism is not known for welcoming converts and is not a missionary religion.

Once in Israel, under the Law of Return, the government provides some assistance (called "assimilation basket") for the first time being but other than that the new immigrant is mostly on their own (although there are a lot of NGOs and religious organizations assisting new immigrants). It will probably be expected for the religious sect in which the new immigrant converted to provide some support as well, although there are no laws on that.

There are no guarantees of a job or a home, and there are duties like serving in the IDF (up to a certain age).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.