I currently work in Munich, and I moved here with a Type D visa for the purpose of work(contract for a year). I currently have an offer that will make me eligible for a blue card. What exactly is the process shifting to this and who do I have to inform once I have resigned from my current role?

  • 1
    Have your new signed work contract in hand, show it to the Ausländeramt, they will give you Blue card.
    – quantum
    Oct 25, 2022 at 9:53

1 Answer 1


If you are already in Germany with a German residence title, you can apply for the EU Blue Card at the immigration authority that is responsible for your place of residence.

Source: The EU Blue Card FAQs Federal Office for Migration and Refugees https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/MigrationAufenthalt/ZuwandererDrittstaaten/Migrathek/BlaueKarteEU/blauekarteeu

See also Change of employer on type D visa while you are already in Germany

  • Yes, I'm already in germany. And thank you for the links. :)
    – user25569
    Oct 25, 2022 at 14:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.