I am a citizen of a 'shithole' country and living in an EU country doing my Ph.D.

I am fed up with my country, and so I want to leave my citizenship and passport.

Can I continue to live and freely travel in the EU after leaving my citizenship and passport?

  • 3
  • The more relevant question would be whether your country allows you to renounce your citizenship without having another one.
    – littleadv
    Mar 8 at 7:37
  • 1
    I don't think you can become voluntarily stateless.
    – gerrit
    Mar 8 at 8:18
  • @gerrit as a general matter, that is incorrect. Several countries do not allow it, but we don't know whether OP's country is one of them.
    – phoog
    Mar 8 at 22:59
  • 1
    As an alternative to voluntarily becoming stateless (with all the difficulties that will bring), why not aim to gain EU citizenship before renouncing your birth nationality?
    – Traveller
    Mar 10 at 12:39

1 Answer 1


You will have problems without a passport. And even in rare situations where being stateless would be of advantage, that doesn’t apply if you made yourself stateless.

Additionally, you won’t be stateless unless your country allows it.

Don’t do it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.