To give context to the topic, I'm currently holding an EU Blue Card issued by Italy (Carta Blu) and I currently have a permanent contract (Contratto A Tempo Indeterminato) with my current employer. I have had my blue card status for 3.5 years now and been paying all the mandated contributions and taxes in Italy. My goal is to apply for the EU Long Term Resident status after staying for 5 years in Italy, however an exceptional position in Germany for another company was offered to me and I'm just waiting for the contract. The job requires me to relocate to Germany.
Now, I have doubts on how my residency period will be counted and if I have the option where to get it from (Italy or Germany).
- If I move to Germany for at least another 1.5 years, can I still apply for the EU Long Term Resident status?
- Will the residency period be reset as soon as I move to Germany?
- If my residency period will be accumulated, are there any specific limitations or risk that I should be aware of?
- If I prefer to move back to Italy after 1.5 years can I get the resident status in Italy or Germany will only be my option to get my long term residency?
- Will my declared domicile (Permanent home location) and residence (Tax residency) matter for the determination of where I can get my long term residency?
I'm leaning towards getting my long term resident status in Italy as I also plan to continue for the citizenship application after obtaining the resident status hence I wanted to be careful with the decisions that I will be making.
Thanks a lot!