I know the Student Visa blocks self-employment, but what about other visas in the UK? Is it possible to have two visas at once, or have some visa that allows both university studies and freelancing?

Edit: I have posted a more detailed question about this.

2 Answers 2


It's not possible to have two visas at once. If you have a visa that allows you to work, however, you can also study on the side. There is a list of such visas available at https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas.


From https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/appendix-student

ST 26.5. A Student is not allowed to do any of the following:

(a) be self-employed or engage in business activity unless ST 26.8 applies;

ST 26.8. A Student may be self-employed, if:

(a) they have applied for permission on the Start-up route; and

(b) that application is supported by an endorsement from a Start-up route endorsing body which is a higher education provider with a track record of compliance; and

(c) the application was made when the applicant had permission as a Student; and

(d) a decision has not been made on the application, or where the application has been refused, any Administrative Review against a refusal has not been finally determined.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.