I am wishing to apply for an ED visa, for legitimate interest in studying the language. However, I have the need to exit Thailand briefly, maybe two or three times within the study year.
The school is satisfied that I will not only making up for missing class hours, but also keeping up online.
I am already of retirement age (65) but still active with some outside work activities. Does anyone know if there is any in/out flexibility in the ED Visa?

2 Answers 2


If you have an ED visa already, and you simply need to exit / re-enter Thailand, then the simplest thing to do is to apply for a re-entry permit.

This does NOT affect the 'must leave by' date currently stamped in your passport - it just gives you the flexibility to exit Thailand and re-enter using your current visa.

I believe a single re-entry permit (good for one re-entry) costs 1,900 THB, and a 'multiple' re-entry permit costs 3,800 THB and allows as many entries as you like.

For example, if you entered Thailand on an ED visa and got a 90-day stamp saying you must leave by the 1st of October, and then you got a re-entry permit - you could then leave Thailand and come back again before the 1st October. When you re-entered, you would then be stamped in as allowed to stay until the 1st October.

Also note that when entering Thailand for the re-entry, you do NOT write the visa number on the white entry card that you hand in to immigration - you write the number of the re-entry permit.

  • The re-entry permit applies to all visa types - it is very common that when people working in Thailand get their yearly extension of stay, they will also get a multiple re-entry permit at the same time.
    – Scott Earle
    Jul 16, 2014 at 6:19

(Sorry to create a second answer - but this one answers the actual question, instead of suggesting an alternative)

There IS a multiple-entry one-year ED visa, but multiple-entry visas are very difficult to get in the region. The best place to apply for a multiple-entry visa is usually your home country.

Note that a multiple-entry visa still requires you to exit Thailand within 90 days of each entry.

Also, it is possible in some cases to get a one-year extension of stay, and this does not require you to leave Thailand for the whole year. I am not sure how to go about this, but the school would need to provide documentation for this - and so they probably know the procedure. Alternatively, contact a reputable company that specialises in Thailand immigration.

  • It has gotten even harder to obtain multiple entry non-immigrant visas. Honorary consulates can no longer issue multiple entry visas. And Thai embassies are already strict on multiple entry non-immigrant visas, particularly ED visas. Best you can hope for is a single entry non-ED visa. You will be lucky to obtain a 1 year extension on reason of education. The extension may only be limited to 3-6 months at a time or denied altogether.
    – Jon Grah
    Oct 28, 2016 at 11:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.