I understand that the rules state: if we leave Germany for more than 6 months consecutively, we would lose the settlement permit

If I live in Switzerland (with a Swiss residence permit), and make trips back to Germany frequently every month for example, is there a way to keep my German settlement permit?

The reason is that perhaps in the future I may decide to move completely back to Germany.

Since Switzerland is in the Schengen, is there really any indication/record if I "leave"?

Essentially I will not be a tax resident in Germany, and will not be claiming any welfare. I will be earning and paying tax in Switzerland. I will still have my apartment back in Germany though.

  • Do you plan to remain registered at your German address?
    – Traveller
    Commented Jun 10, 2023 at 9:03
  • The Swiss work permit and job offers are essentially irrelevant. You can get it, you will still have your Niederlassungserlaubnis. The question is whether you can work in Switzerland long term and retain a Niederlassungserlaubnis.
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 10, 2023 at 21:43
  • What about your car? Your driving license? Your health insurance?
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 10, 2023 at 21:49
  • Would have an apartment in Germany still, driving license also to remain German. Insurance i know I'll need one in CH, so not sure if I'll need an extra one in Germany too (but willing to have it).
    – zephyr
    Commented Jun 11, 2023 at 6:43
  • driving license also to remain German I doubt that would be possible, you are required to exchange your DL for a Swiss one within a year of getting your Swiss RP Commented Jun 14, 2023 at 14:15


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.