I am a U.S. citizen working on my documentation to apply for the Spanish Digital Nomad visa. I meet all the described requirements in terms of income, contract, health care, etc... but I don't have a university degree. The documentation I have seen indicates that I can use proof of employment of 3 or more years in my field instead, but it is vague on the form that must take.

  • Is a confirmation of employment letter from a past employer sufficient?
  • Does this sort of thing need to be apostilled? How does that work? I understand how government documents are apostilled by the state, but private parties? Do I get a local notarization and then engage an apostille service?

I would love to hear others experience.

  • From where are you applying? Commented Jul 26, 2023 at 12:19
  • @NicolasFormichella I am a US citizen. I am physically in Europe so I will likely be applying in Spain. Wasn't sure in which sense you meant. Commented Jul 27, 2023 at 14:39
  • In which country are you going to physically lodge your application? The US? The UK? A EU country? You can't apply for a visa in the country itself Commented Jul 27, 2023 at 15:00
  • No that doesn't seem to be the case for the new Digital Nomad visa. Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 16:11

1 Answer 1


Does this sort of thing need to be apostilled?

Apostilles/legalisations are only for documents issued by governments themselves (like, a birth certificate) you can't apostille a private person's document.

The city of Barcelona states :

For some formalities required to live in Barcelona, especially related to immigration, you will have to provide documents issued by public authorities in your country of origin.

Is a confirmation of employment letter from a past employer sufficient?

It is also stated

If you do not have that qualification, a letter of experience signed by your current or previous employer that certifies professional experience of at least 3 years for analogous functions to those you would perform in the post.

Indeed has a walkthrough on what is a letter of experience, but a end of contract letter stating how mucb time you passed in that company should work

Don't forget you also need to translate it with a registered translator like all documents

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.