I live in Kuwait and am applying for German national student visa. They asked me for travel insurance, and I have got it. Now, the issue is, in some other documents, they refer to the insurance as health insurance, and I am confused, if I need travel health insurance on top of travel insurance to stay in Germany.

Some sites say it is neccesary for everyone, but would it still be true if the period of stay is less than 2 weeks? Because, I heard if it is in that duration then you don't even have to do residence registration.

  • I think that often terminology used by different sources is not exact and "travel insurance" may used as an equivalent for "health insurance for a traveller" in the regard that you're required to have coverage for unexpected medical and health care expenses that may occur during your stay. Of course travel insurance typically covers more than just health care insurance alone and often includes additional things like for example trip cancellation or interruption coverage, baggage and personal effects coverage, rental property and rental car coverage and/or accidental death coverage.
    – HBruijn
    Jul 18, 2023 at 15:46
  • Seems so the health insurance coverage in my tavel doc is only for wmergencies
    – Babu
    Jul 18, 2023 at 15:48
  • 4
    "...to live in Germany..." or "...two week visit..."? The answers might be different. Jul 18, 2023 at 17:34
  • 2
    For a student visa, you should ask on Expatriates Stack Exchange, not here. A short stay with a national visa sounds strange.
    – o.m.
    Jul 18, 2023 at 18:10
  • 1

1 Answer 1


As with all employees, you must be insured at the latest on the first day of work. For students, this is the first day of the semester. Until then you should be covered by a normal travel insurance as any other visitor.

During the enrollment process you will probably be advised to select a health provider (Krankenkasse) and that you must inform them which one you have selected since they will cover around 50% of the costs.

Health providers offer special rates for students, so you should supply them with a confirmation that you have been accepted as a student.

They will then issue you a certificate that you are insured by them and the date it starts. The earliest possible date is the date of the enrollment.

When you apply for your residence permit card (which replaces the national visa) they will also want to see this certificate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.