I am an EU national residing in Spain, I have a certificate of residency registration and my foreigner identity number but I do not work and have not worked for the last five years. I arrived to Spain in early 2018, with an EHIC issued by the UK where resided and worked part-time for over one year before my move to Spain. This EHIC from the UK expired at the beginning of 2022. I was asked for my EHIC only once when applying for my foreigner identity number here in 2018. Since than I've been supporting myself out of my savings, banks transfers of my mother and occasional small jobs at grey market. Is there a way of obtaining a European Health Insurance Card that does not involve being employed? What documents would I need for that?

  • 1
    The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is issued by your statutory (as apposed to a private) health insurance provider. So what type of health provider do you have? Commented Sep 15, 2023 at 3:42
  • 1
    You must of had some form of insurance when you arrived in Spain. Freedom of Movement Article 7 (Right of residence for more than three months) (1)(b) ... and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State; Commented Sep 16, 2023 at 23:03
  • 1
    Further information is required for this question. How did you support yourself after arrival in Spain? Did you ever work in Spain? How do you support yourself now? etc. Commented Sep 16, 2023 at 23:11
  • 1
    @MarkJohnson GIven what we know here about the varieties of immigration formalities, I think it's quite possible that the OP arrived in Spain (or elsewhere in Schengen) and was not asked about health coverage. Commented Sep 17, 2023 at 2:33
  • 1
    @DavidRecallsMonica Yes, that is true but does not change the fact that it is still a requirement. In Germany, by default, no checks are done. But should it later come to their attention that these conditions have not been fulfilled they can react. Turning up later stating 'I have no medical coverage, give me one for free' would be such a situation. Commented Sep 17, 2023 at 2:54


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.