I am a dual French-American citizen living in the US and I need to fill out a W-9 for my French bank account. I'm not sure what to write for the TIN. I looked it up online and found on the IRS website that if I have a SSN, I shouldn't ask for a TIN or write one on the W-9 form. Could anyone explain this to me? Thanks!

  • The official Form W-9 gives a choice of entering what are labeled as Social security number or Employer identification number. I notice that the heading of that section is "Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)". The instructions on the form explain that for individuals the Taxpayer Identification Number is generally the your social security number. Sep 16, 2023 at 13:57
  • If you have or are eligible for SSN you aren't eligible for and shouldn't ask for ITIN. As per the answer, ITIN is a subset -- and only a subset (i.e. 'proper' in math terminology) -- of TIN. Sep 16, 2023 at 23:58

1 Answer 1


Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is a category that includes Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) (for individuals who don't have and are not eligible for SSN to file taxes), Employer Identification Number (EIN), Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number, and Preparer Tax Identification Number. Since this is for your bank account, only SSN or ITIN would be applicable, and since you are a US citizen, you are eligible for an SSN and not eligible for an ITIN, so you would provide an SSN.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.