I am from Sweden, I live in Switzerland and I am moving to London. I have a car in Switzerland that I am not yet sure what to do with. I like it and I want to keep it. However, I am not sure what my best option is. So what I am wondering is if it's possible to own a car in Switzerland without living in Switzerland.

When I moved from Sweden to Switzerland I used my Swedish car for a year in Switzerland and I am basically wondering if I could do the same when I move from Switzerland to the United Kingdom.

  • Do you want to take the car with you to the UK, or have it parked somewhere in Switzerland for use when you visit?
    – gerrit
    Jul 21, 2014 at 17:21
  • My intention is to take it to the UK and simply decide later whether it makes more sense to import it to the UK or sell it in Switzerland. Like I did with my Swedish car when I moved to Switzerland.
    – Erik B
    Jul 21, 2014 at 17:25
  • 1
    Once you are a resident in the UK (or any other EU country for that matter) you cannot legally drive your non-local car (there are some exceptions, but none of them seem to apply to you)! More details here
    – SztupY
    Jul 22, 2014 at 8:32
  • I feel that this question is not a duplicate, because it mainly focuses on Switzerland, not the UK.
    – magma
    Jun 22, 2015 at 22:14
  • @SztupY this depends a lot on the EU states involved. I got pulled over in Germany with Italian plates (had residence in both states at the time) and was told that even as a German resident I could drive a car with foreign plates as long as I paid tax on it. Another example: Lithuania requires being registered as a resident to get a permanent car registration there, while Italy is less strict: any EU citizen who declares their regular abode to be in Italy can register a car in Italy, as long as they pay taxes there.
    – user149408
    Dec 16, 2016 at 23:47


Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.