I am working in the United States on an H1B visa. My employer doesn't want to sponsor me for a green card. Is there any way I can apply for the green card by myself? Is there any such category? I have a two master's degrees (1 outside the US) and more than a decade of work experience in IT fields.

If there is such category, is there any realistic chance of getting it?

2 Answers 2


From what I know, you can only petition yourself for employment-based immigration to the US in the following cases:

  • EB1A (alien of extraordinary ability) (note that EB1B and EB1C cannot self-petition)
  • National Interest Waiver (NIW), which is itself a part of EB2

The main category for self sponsorship is EB-1, specifically "Exceptional ability" category.

You must satisfy at least 3 out of the 10 requirements specified (see this page), or have an extraordinary recognition like an Oscar, a Nobel, or a similar level type of recent recognition.

Two masters and 10 years of experience will probably not cut it, but talk to an attorney for a proper evaluation of your prospects.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.