I recently moved to Canada. I am not Canadian and not a Canadian Permanent Resident. My brother has petitioned a green card application for me 5 years ago. My application takes more than 12 years and I was wondering if I could apply for a tourist visa to visit my brother and relatives in California.

Will my tourist visa application be an immediate rejection due to my pending green card application or I have a chance of getting a visa?

Please advise.

  • 3
    For completeness, what is your immigration status in Canada? What ties to Canada do you have that would enable you to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent INA Section 214(b)?
    – Traveller
    Commented Mar 30 at 14:27

1 Answer 1


You haven't applied for anything yet, your brother filed a petition which started a process at the end of which you may have an opportunity to apply for an immigration visa/status.

Until then you can apply for a tourist visa just like everyone else.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.