For admission into bachelors programs in Germany, often third world nationals have to first attend a prep course. One can only enter this prep course through clearance of an exam. Typically one applies for a student applicant visa to write the exam.

One of my friend applied for the student visa and didn't get it in time. Hence, they applied also for a tourist visa, wrote the exam and are one month into the course.

The question is, can she turn the tourist visa into a study one or must she go back and reapply?

Country of origin: Belaruss

  • Impossible to say without actual data. For example, what country are they from?
    – nvoigt
    Commented Apr 16 at 6:29

1 Answer 1


Visa nationals have no right to convert a German ‘C’ visa into a residence permit to stay because of education, training, or economic reasons.

Source: https://www.germany-visa.org/immigration/residence-permit/converting-schengen-visa-into-residence-permit/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.