I am a US citizen, happily employed by a US-based company, currently spending a year in Israel on a A/4 "Family of clergy/student" visa. My company does not do any business in Israel, would not hire someone in Israel, and I do not have any intent on working for Israeli companies on the side.

What are my obligations regarding getting a "right to work" permit/visa from Israel? Am I good as-is, do I have to switch to a B/1 work visa, or is there something else in between? Does length of time in Israel matter? I know that for practical purposes, I can just keep working remotely and no one is likely to care, but I'd like to know how I'm officially supposed to go about doing this.

1 Answer 1


A/4 is not allowed to work in Israel by default (doesn't matter where the employer is), but you can request a work permit as part of your application.

It can be given "at the discretion of the minister" (i.e.: some bureaucrat at the Ministry of Interior). The process is described here (this is a site for a Jewish organization, I don't know whether proof of Jewishness is actually required - check with the consulate). With that you can become self-employed and become a contractor for your US employer. You'll need to deal with all the taxes and social security issues, of course, and learn the concept of VAT.

B/1 is a foreign employee visa, and requires an Israeli employer sponsoring you which doesn't sound like something you'd be interested in.

You should probably discuss your options with a local immigration attorney.

I know that for practical purposes, I can just keep working remotely and no one is likely to care

Yes, until someone does. A nosy neighbor, or you get into some issue related to your work (like a job-related injury), or someone decides to screw your employer (having an employee in Israel opens the employer to a huge liability). There's also a tax information exchange between the US and Israel.

  • That sounds like it pretty much covers it. I would still have to change my employment status with my employer, though?
    – user30660
    Commented May 6 at 18:46
  • @user30660 yes, probably
    – littleadv
    Commented May 6 at 19:40
  • But does OP actually considered to "working in Israel" given the remote nature of their work?
    – einpoklum
    Commented May 6 at 20:32
  • 1
    @einpoklum the remote is relative to the employer, not relative to Israel. The work is in Israel, and that's what matters.
    – littleadv
    Commented May 6 at 20:36
  • @einpoklum Literally the reason why remote working and digital nomad visas were invented.
    – Traveller
    Commented May 7 at 22:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.