Me and my girlfriend come from a non-EU country, we are practically married (living together for two years), but wish not to get married.

I got a job offer at Belgium (postdoctoral position), and I wonder if it would be possible for my girlfriend to get a visa to come live with me at Belgium during the time I work there?

  • 1
    Which visa are you applying for? This Wikipedia Article may help. Commented Aug 18, 2014 at 6:14
  • I am actually not sure what visa I am going to get.
    – Belguest
    Commented Aug 21, 2014 at 9:45
  • 1
    @DavidSegonds My understanding is that it does not matter much in this case.
    – Gala
    Commented Aug 21, 2014 at 13:34

1 Answer 1


It's possible, under various conditions (having lived together for some time, having sufficient income, accommodation, and health insurance). You must in any case have entered some form of registered partnership but do not need to be married.

Detailed information on this (unfortunately only in French). On the face of it, it does sound somewhat difficult. Getting married does help a lot for this kind of things.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.