I recently retired and am receiving social security. If I move out of the U.S., will I still receive my SS checks?

  • Why not have your SS direct-deposited into a US bank and use that bank's debit card at a foreign ATM to get cash? Much easier and safe from prying eyes in your foreign home. Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 5:36

1 Answer 1


You can look at the Your Payments while Outside US from Social Security Administration.

On pages 12 and 13 of the booklet you can find the list of countries where you cannot receive the payments, which currently includes:

  • Cuba
  • North Korea
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Georgia
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Moldova
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine,
  • Uzbekistan

There are other conditions that are spelled out in that document as well.

  • 1
    Interestingly, this list contains most of the post-Soviet states, but not Russia.
    – gdrt
    Commented May 24, 2017 at 8:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.