I'm trying to go to the US, and I will only be there for 6 days. I want to be able to drive while I'm there. Can I get a temporary license?

  • 1
    Welcome to expatriates.SE. This question is probably more appropriate for travel.SE. And if you have a driver's license in Japan you can drive with it as long as you have IDP. – Karlson Sep 4 '14 at 19:07
  • 4
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is about travel. – Karlson Sep 4 '14 at 19:07
  • @Karlson Thanks. When I searched about licenses, I got a lot of results on here. Sorry. Feel free to migrate. Meanwhile: What's an IDP? – Wolfpack'08 Sep 5 '14 at 1:08
  • 1
  • aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html This is in the US. You will need to find the same for Japan – Karlson Sep 5 '14 at 1:40

The thing you want is an International Driving Permit (IDP).


Do not fall for the "international driving licence" scams, you just need the IDP. They are usually easy to get from the same place where you would apply for a driving licence. Here in Thailand, you can get one from the Department of Land Transport, and in the UK I have got one from the Post Office before.

The permit is valid in every country except for the country it is issued in (because you should already have a driving licence in that country in order to qualify for the permit, I guess).

The cost is nominal (not a lot), and validity is one year from the date of issue.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.