I am Iranian and I am going to reunite with my husband (he is Iranian and staying in Vienna under "Forscher=researcher" residence permit) who works as a researcher in Vienna (stay more than six months). It is recommended that I apply for the residence permit "Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Familiengemeinschaft". I am wondering if it is possible that I first obtain a tourist visa for Austria and when I arrived there, then I apply for the above mentioned residence permit from**within** Austria? That is, is it legally possible to apply for "Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Familiengemeinschaft" from within Austria?

  • What is the nationality of your husband, and what visa/permit/etc is he in Austria on?
    – Gagravarr
    Sep 16, 2014 at 8:24
  • @Gagravarr I edited the question to answer your question.
    – user2455
    Sep 16, 2014 at 8:40

1 Answer 1


According to a government site (http://www.migration.gv.at/en/types-of-immigration/temporary-residence.html), "Foreign citizens applying for a residence permit as a researcher and their family members" may "file first applications in Austria" for the residence permit.

Presumably you should seek further information from the institution hosting your husband or from the Austrian consulate in Tehran: http://www.bmeia.gv.at/botschaft/teheran.html

(If you are not in Iran, then you should look for the Austrian consulate in the country where you are.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.