I am a South African living in the UK. I am trying to apply for retention of my South African citizenship.

I have the certificate from the UK Border Agency that says that I am not British but when I took this to the South African embassy they would not accept it because the date (26/08/2014) has a scribble around the 8. It looks like the pen slipped when the person signed it.

The embassy asked me to produce the receipt for the certificate and I didn't think I needed to keep that so I don't have it anymore.

Does anyone know how I can get this receipt or who I need to contact at the UK Border Agency to get this corrected?

1 Answer 1


To resolve this I landed up writing a letter and sending it to the same address that I requested the original certificate from. I included a photocopy of the certificate and highlighted the obscure date and explained that the embassy would not accept it.

I received a letter back saying that I should fill in the forms again and send a cover letter requesting that the certificate should be issued free of charge because of this problem.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.