Am an expat student in the U.S., Am I going to get the same student benefits and discounts in the U.S. just like the local students using my student ID?

3 Answers 3


Ultimately it is up to the individual company or venue to set whether or not they make a distinction between domestic or international students but I am yet to find one that does.

From Carnegie Hall:

Buy your tickets at the Box Office on 57th Street and Seventh Avenue. A student photo ID is required for purchase of up to two tickets.

which means that as long as your student ID is valid you should be able to obtain a discounted ticket.

In addition I would think that making a discount/service limited based whether the student has residency in the US or not is likely to bring a constitutional challenge to such limitation but IANAL.

  • iANAL? sounds like another product from Apple. Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 15:14
  • Not quite but that's a different discussion. :)
    – Karlson
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 15:16
  • 2
    +1 in that no establishment is required to recognize a particular student ID— even one from a U.S. institution. I had a restaurant in Syracuse, NY try to decline a 10% "student discount" to me once, saying it was a promotion intended only for students enrolled in the local area, whereas I was visiting from about an hour away in Ithaca. (That said, they didn't resist when I insisted).
    – choster
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 15:52
  • @choster That was probably more of a question which school did you have an id from. I remember being limited for the number of purchases in West Lafayette just because my credit card had an Indiana University logo and colors. :)
    – Karlson
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 18:09

The easiest way to get around the problem is to get an International Student ID card. You have a lot of information in: http://www.isic.org/ They also connect you to sites that offer discounts. Quite useful.

  • I am not sure this will be accepted as a Student ID or help with the concern that discount may be available for the international student.
    – Karlson
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 15:17
  • This isn't a universal way to get around the problem at all. The ISIC card is issued by a private company; no business or government in the U.S. is required to accept it. All it provides is reassurance for certain organizations which have stated that they do accept it.
    – choster
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 15:48
  • I agree that it is not a universal solution, but in my personal experience the ISIC card has been accepted when my normal student ID hasn't.
    – arkaia
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 15:53
  • if you cannot get a local student ID this might be your best bet.
    – SztupY
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 16:58
  • @SztupY If you are a student why wouldn't you be able to get School Student ID?
    – Karlson
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 18:10

From my experience in a state accredited private University, as a foreign student I was not eligible for any financial aid or (of course) discount on tuition. Anything that required a student ID though is the same for everybody in my experience: foreign students are issued the same Student IDs as everybody else.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.