My wife and me are planning to go to the US. I'll have a J1 (postdoc) and she therefore get's a J2. At the moment she's looking for a job in Academia/Industry. In case she finds one, can she still apply for her own J1/H1B even though she started the application for a J2?

1 Answer 1


Yes, she can. Keep in mind that J1 may have limitation on staying in the US (i.e.: you must stay out of the US for some period of time, typically 2 years, before coming back in any other status). This may affect you and her. Check your paperwork.

  • Thank you for your answer. I already know about the 2 Years go home policy which is fine by me. I'm sure you're right about your answer but do you have a source for it? Just that I have something I can lean on.
    – magu_
    Oct 6, 2014 at 6:38
  • @magu_ it's hard to find a source for something that doesn't exist. There's no such limitation - so no source.
    – littleadv
    Oct 6, 2014 at 7:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.