As an EU citizen, who has been living in Britain for a year, can I get a student loan to pay for my tuition fees in one of the UK based universities?

  • 2
    You use England, Britain, and UK in your question, but the nuances of the answer are going to depend on what you mean. Further, what do you mean by a student loan. Do you mean a loan through SLC?
    – StrongBad
    Commented Mar 14, 2014 at 15:12

1 Answer 1


The system in the UK is confusing. As far as I can tell the Scotish system is different from the English, Welsh and Northern Irish systems. I assume you are talking about the government finances and not private loans. The requirements for qualifying are available from GOV.UK:

You can only apply if:

  • you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • you normally live in England
  • you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course

You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

  • EU national, or family member of one
  • refugee
  • humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for asylum)
  • migrant worker
  • child of a Swiss national
  • child of a Turkish worker

Assuming you are not an UK citizen and don't have refugee status or humanitarian protection, you will not be able to apply with form PN1, but you may be able to apply and qualify with form EU13N.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.