As a US citizen and employee of a US company, my bank accounts are in the US even though I spend very little time (2-3 weeks per year) physically in the US. I'm about to get married to a Guatemalan. We will not (for now) be living in the US. Is it possible to have a joint US bank account even though she's not a US citizen?

My primary concern is issuing a debit card in her name, so that she can make purchases without me physically present.

I did contact my primary financial institution, a credit union serving the city where I used to live, and they told me:

We are only able to open accounts for US citizens or US resident.

Which doesn't directly answer my question, since I'm only wanting to add her to my existing account--but I take that to mean that probably isn't possible, either. I just don't know if this is an institution policy, or law.

If it matters, she has dual-citizenship with Guatemala and Spain.

  • 2
    Congrats on the pending nuptials.
    – StrongBad
    Commented Oct 24, 2014 at 18:57

1 Answer 1


I have never done this, but there should not be any issues especially since you already have an account. It is possible for a non US citizen who is not residing in the US and who does not have a TIN to open a US bank account (cf. https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/5028/can-i-open-a-us-bank-account-even-if-i-dont-live-in-the-country). The easiest way would probably be to stop by the branch you opened the account at the next time you are both in the States. I am not sure if you can do it by mail. If your account is at a big bank (e.g., HSBC or BoA), they may have international offices that can help you out.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.