I am an international graduate student under F1 visa in the USA. If I perform some work outside the USA, should that work be approved by the USCIS?

On the page "Employment" (ICE) I read that:

Off-campus work authorization requires case-by-case approval from USCIS. Approval is not based on the student's choice of employer.

but I wonder whether it only concerns work in the USA.

  • Are you asking about work you perform remotely while you are in the U.S.? Or are you asking about work you perform while you are outside the U.S.?
    – user102008
    Commented Oct 26, 2014 at 0:15
  • @user102008 Actually I am interested in both. Commented Oct 26, 2014 at 0:26

1 Answer 1


You said in comments that you wanted to know about both if you are inside the U.S. and outside.

If you are outside the U.S., you do not have a U.S. immigration status. You only have a status while in the U.S. Since you are not in F1 status, you are not subject to the conditions of F1 status, and you cannot "violate" a status you do not have. You may have a visa stamp in your passport, but that is just permission to travel to the U.S. in the future.

If you are inside the U.S. and are asking about working remotely for a foreign employer, as Karlson says, there is some debate an disagreement about this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.