I am planning to move to Switzerland to stay with my partner start of next year, and am trying to identify ways to stay for longer than 3 months. I have Australian citizenship and am under 30. I was initially hopeful that I could get a student visa and study German, but have since been told (by a school, potentially biased) that these are only issued for 'high intensity' study of at least a year, amounting to ~10k CHF or so and a large portion of free time. I've also considered getting one of the "working holiday" visas issued by other Schengen countries, but I gather that these aren't valid for leaving the country of issue?

I have a bachelors and a good deal of experience doing software dev work, and suppose trying to get a job offer and associated visa is an option.

Is there anything else I could try that I've missed? I'm still not confident about the requirements for the student visas, and can't really ascertain whether there exists a way to get an "extended tourism" visa or similar.

  • 1
    Have you considered enrolling into a university? It should be feasible with your bachelor degree and will be much cheaper than a private language school. (around 1.2k CHF a year)
    – drat
    Commented Oct 28, 2014 at 0:00

1 Answer 1


I was in a similar situation as yourself; wanting to move to Switzerland to be with partner and had a bachelors.

Have you considered applying for a Masters? Tuition at major universities is around CHF 1000/semester, with programs lasting 2-4 semesters. If you apply and are accepted to Uni, then you can use this to get a 'Student B Permit,' allowing you to stay for the duration of your studies.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.