Do I have permission to work in Prague (Czech Republic) under an internship provided the following conditions:

  • I'm a non-EEA national (Vietnamese)
  • with a valid Dutch residence permit, for 'study' purposes
  • fulltime internship in Prague for 6 weeks
  • internship is a prerequisite of my Master study program.

What do I need to do to obtain a permit to work for an international company in the Czech Republic? What does my employer need to do?

  • I am pretty sure you can't do it based on your Dutch residence permit. Unless I am wrong about that, it would then depend on the Czech rules (which I don't know) but I suspect you might need a visa/permit. Maybe if you are not receiving any monetary compensation it does not matter? Hopefully someone will be able to provide a definitive answer…
    – Gala
    Nov 2, 2014 at 9:35

2 Answers 2


You can find the information (in English) about foreign employment in Czech Republic on the portal of Czech Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs. Note that the law was changed a few months ago, and some English pages state that English translation is still in the process of proofreading.


Type D residency permits are essentially equivalent to short-term Schengen visas when it comes to other countries. The Czech consulate to say in New York has the following to say about working on a short-term visa:

employment (work permit issued by the Employment Office or employment contract, if the type of work is exempt from the work permit in accordance with Act. No. 435/2004 Coll. on employment)

The list of exemptions from needing a work permit is available at paragraph 98 of law No. 435/2004, none which unfortunately applies to your particular situation, regardless of whether the internship is paid or not.

Therefore the answer is: no, you cannot legally work in Czech Republic without applying for additional visas.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.