I am non-EU citizen and my girlfriend from Spain. I am Bangladesh national. Can we get married in the consulate of Spain in Bangladesh or have to try somewhere (neighboring countries) else?

  • 1
    Can you clarify why you'd want to get married in the consulate? – Gagravarr Nov 5 '14 at 10:07
  • 2
    This will need to be found out at the embassy. In Phillipines it won't be allowed: exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/MANILA/en/ServiciosConsulares/… – Karlson Nov 5 '14 at 18:57
  • Why not get married in your city hall or whatever place would be normal for Bangladesh? – phoog May 14 '15 at 22:49
  • You can also get married wherever you want and after register the marriage in Spain (through the Consulate). Once the marriage is registered, the Spanish certificate will be valid all over Europe. – Daniele D. Jul 8 '15 at 11:17

The answer is MAYBE

According to Spanish Exterior Ministry the conditions for consular marriage are:

A consular marriage may only be held when at least one of the parties is Spanish and if the laws and regulations of the receiving state do not oppose consular marriages.

Since you're non-EU citizen the Spanish consulate will not perform the marriage unless Bangadesh recognizes consular marriage (for which I can't find confirmation).

  • +1 for the useful link and citation but doesn't your quote contradict your answer? “One of the parties” (namely the girlfriend) is a Spanish citizen. – Gala May 29 '15 at 18:57
  • Need sleep and re-read the question. – Karlson May 29 '15 at 18:57
  • @DanieleDavì That should be a comment on the question rather then the answer. But in some countries there is no marriage other than religious and there are restrictions on who can get married in the country. I haven't checked but Bangladesh seem to me to be one of these. – Karlson Jul 8 '15 at 1:38
  • @Karlson thanks a lot for the correction. I fixed. I basically answered to the second part of his question "(or have to try somewhere (neighboring countries) else?" which I think was important as well as the first part. Also considering what you are saying about marriage in some countries, consider to get married in a country where they after can get a proper recognized certificate could be the best option. – Daniele D. Jul 8 '15 at 11:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.