On occasion I've found that there are programs set up for bringing people of particular ethnicity or technical skills into the US.

Is there a way to find what programs like this are currently in effect?


Yes. It is called "INA" - Immigration and Nationality Act. You can find it in any legal library (including virtual ones). It is also available freely on the USCIS website.

Specifically you probably want to read Chapters 1 and 2 of Title II of the act.

In the US, all the immigration and admission classes and categories are coded in statute, so you just need to read it.

  • I wasn't referring to the categories of immigrants. I was looking for special programs that are designed to make process basically a formality rather then a necessity. Like refugee programs for Soviet Jews, and Green Cards for scientists and engineers involved in Soviet nuclear weapons programs. – Karlson Nov 10 '14 at 15:11
  • @Karlson you'd be surprised, but these were codified. It now reads as "asylum" category. – littleadv Nov 10 '14 at 17:02
  • Not sure I follow... – Karlson Nov 10 '14 at 18:24
  • I think he's saying all those other ones come under the same heading of the 'asylum' category now. – Mark Mayo Nov 10 '14 at 23:51
  • @MarkMayo The question is not what category they fall under but what are those groups. – Karlson Nov 11 '14 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.