I have a really generic question and nobody has given me a satisfactory answer: let's say I live in Italy and one day I wake up and I want to move to the USA permanently, what are the legal steps to move in terms of visa, work, housing... Is my question even feasible or just pure fantasy?

  • Whoever downvotes, leave an explanation! Commented Sep 11, 2018 at 9:54

1 Answer 1


In very broad terms, you can (these steps take many years):

  • Get an H-1B visa with a job in the US
  • Get a green card after completing a lot of paperwork such as labor certification
  • (optional) Apply for US citizenship after holding your green card for some years

There are other ways such as the Diversity Immigrant Visa (also informally known as the "green card lottery").

  • There are many more visa possibilities depending on circumstances then just H-1.
    – Karlson
    Commented Dec 11, 2014 at 14:54
  • You can become adopted by an American citizen. You can fall in love with and marry an American citizen. You can enroll in an American school and get a student visa. Commented Aug 23, 2016 at 20:46
  • 1
    @DouglasHeld I think adoption only works if you're under 18. Commented Sep 14, 2016 at 4:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.