I (French citizen) started a PhD in computer science in the US one year and a half ago: what can I do to get the US citizenship as quickly as possible?

1 Answer 1


There are several options:

  1. Marry a US citizen. Once the US government is satisfied that your marriage is not a sham marriage (i.e.: you didn't get married just for the immigration benefits) - you'll get a green card (permanent residency). After three years as permanent resident married to a US citizen, you can apply for US citizenship.

  2. Get a green card on your own. Either through an employer (EB1/EB2 process) or because you're such a distinguish scholar that the US would want to keep you (EB1 self sponsored process). After 5 years as a permanent resident you can apply for US citizenship.

  3. Have a congressman introduce legislation to the US Congress to grant you a citizenship. Once the bill passes and is signed into law by the President - you'll become a US citizen.

  4. Join the US military. After 4 (IIRC...) years in the military, as long as you're not dishonorably discharged, you can apply for US citizenship.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.