If I want to start a small retailer which will import products from the far east and sell them in a small store in Switzerland, what do I need to do? I am not a resident of CH but I have the right to enter on my (US non-diplomatic) passport.

How can I rent a space if I am not a resident of the country but have right to enter as a tourist?) Are there any contracting issues for someone without residency.

  • This is from this compound question to fit site requirements. – Traveler Mar 17 '14 at 12:08
  • How good is your German (or French, or Italian)? – Jonas Mar 26 '14 at 9:40
  • @Jonas Not good at all but enough to deal with the most basic things – Traveler Mar 26 '14 at 10:36

Founding businesses is a legally regulated topic. Consult with an actual lawyer, rather than fully relying on information from the internet.

In Switzerland, as in most countries, you cannot do business under a tourist visa (this applies even if there is a visa waiver program in place).

You therefore have two options: Either you obtain a residency and a work permit in Switzerland, and found your company that way, or you have a Swiss person found the company and invest in their company.

The Swiss Federal Department of Economics (SECO) provides a site for small and medium enterprises ("Kleine und Mittlere Unternehmen, KMU"), with links to useful topics like founding a company and import/export. The sites are either in German, French, or Italian. Unless you want to make use of consulting by companies specialized in assisting founding companies (such as this one), I highly recommend mastering one of the three languages sufficiently well to be able to work through legal texts.

To rent a place, you will also need a residency permit that covers the duration of the contract.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.