My sister has applied for a Australian Visitor Visa (family sponsored stream) and I, an Australian citizen, am the sponsor. She has a plan of spending 6 months traveling in Australia, of which 3 months will be used for an English language course (the visitor visa allows study up to 3 months).

However, the case officer has indicated, due to applicant profile and information provided, they will be satisfied to grant her 3 months instead of the 6 months requested.

I would like to know what kind of extra information would typically help make a case for her being able to be granted six months. I'm assuming the case officer decision is not final yet. Information we already provided included:

  • My capacity of paying a bond;
  • Information that the applicant is taking a leave from her job in her home country and will still have the job when she comes back;
  • Financial data showing enough savings to travel, including pre-paid tickets and study fees.

1 Answer 1


I have ultimately called the Department of Immigration and Border protection to seek advice on how to obtain a 6 month visa as originally requested.

I was told that under the Visitor Visa (Family stream), it is customary for the department to grant 3 months to siblings, while 6 and 12 months are only given to parents.

Counter-intuitively, I was also told she would more likely get more than 3 months by applying independently. Also, she being for a country deemed to be low-risk (although it's not an ETA country), they have informed there was no need for sponsorship.

Finally, a 6 months visa was granted under a regular visitor visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.