I have lived in London for 5 years now. My passport is French, can I still pass my theory and practical test here? It mentions needing a valid UK passport or other form of ID. I just want to make sure that a valid EU passport is enough?

  • 1
    Do you have a provisional driving license? Did you learn to drive in France without having time to pass the test or are you preparing it on your own? Where did you read that a UK passport is required?
    – Gala
    Jan 28, 2015 at 17:49

2 Answers 2


I see no problem at all because you are an EU citizen. The Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) will accept:

  • certificate of registry of birth (provided your name is present on the certificate) adoption certificate
  • ID card issued by a member state of the EEA (ID cards issued by the UK Passport Agency are not accepted by DVA as confirmation of your identity)
  • travel documents issued by the Home Office
  • certificate of naturalisation or registration (with supporting documentation)
  • proof of entitlement for the State Retirement Pension

If you are in any doubt about the identity documents you need to supply, you can contact DVA on:

phone: 0845 402 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)

  • Those are the requirements to apply for the document itself but says nothing about the tests.
    – Gala
    Jan 28, 2015 at 17:45

The procedure in the UK is a bit different than in other countries. I think it's necessary to have a provisional driving license before sitting the test or taking a lesson.

Consequently, the assumption is that everybody who shows up for the test will have one and you can use that as ID. A passport is only required if you don't have a recent photocard license.

A “current passport” is explicitly listed as one of the acceptable forms of ID to apply for a provisional license. See also UK provisional driver's license without sending passport by post

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.