A L1B is valid for 3 years, and you usually would want to stay on the visa till expiry, however might leave the country for a vacation..

Do you just tell the VO that you'll be staying till the visa is valid, else what do you say?

2 Answers 2


When I go through immigration I used to hand over my passport either closed or open to the picture page. I would get asked when I was leaving every time. Now I hand it over open to the visa page and I never get asked. I think they ask the question reflexively because the vast majority of foreigners need to leave at some point and they are trying to speed up the process. When I show them my passport open to the visa page, they start off by asking me, how long I have been gone for. It is a much nicer question to here when you are returning "home". As for how I answered the question in the past, I always answered with: I live and work here now, but my visa ends in 2017 and I will either get an extension before then or leave. I will not overstay.


You tell them that your contract ends < insert the date of L1b expiration here > and you'll leave once it ends. Unless you plan on finishing the employment and leaving earlier, that is.

Vacations is not "leaving US", you'll be coming back from the vacations.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.