I am currently living in the US on a TN status while my financé is still living in Canada. We are both Canadian citizens. She is looking at taking an internship in the US that would grant her a J-1 visa. But looking into it, it looks like after the J-1 visa expires she is required to leave the US and not return for two years.

Is this really the case for Canadian citizens? When she gets a TD status, will she still be required to remain outside the US until that two-year period has passed?


1 Answer 1


The 2-year requirement in INA 212(e) only applies to immigrant visas and H and L nonimmigrant visas. It does not apply to TN and TD.

The Foreign Affairs Manual explicitly confirms this for TN/TD in 9 FAM 402.17-11.

  • Cool, this sounds like it also doesn't apply to a B2 visitor's visa. Thanks!
    – Godwin
    Mar 12, 2015 at 21:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.