I'm an EU-Citizen and I'd like to consider opportunity of working in Australia as IT-specialist (developer).

If I find an opportunity to work there as contractor/freelancer, can I simply register my company there? Or there are special requirements to be met? How do I apply for visa in that case?

As far as I know, Australia grants visa to computer specialists without any problem, because they are needed there, if they want to be employed there. Do the same applies to contractors?

1 Answer 1


It's not that simple. To legally work in Australia, you must have a work visa, and the most common work visa (457) requires a qualified Australian company to sponsor you. It's possible to self-sponsor a 457, meaning you create an Australian company for the primary purpose of hiring yourself, but this is expensive and not risk-free.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.