When someone travels to the US on H1B visa, is it mandatory to bring the I797 approval notice? Or is it okay to travel with just a photocopy of the I797 document?

  • cross-posting: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/45450/… – Dirty-flow Apr 1 '15 at 14:43
  • 1
    I was asked to post here when I first posted in travel. So posted the question here. – bjrp Apr 1 '15 at 14:48
  • cross-posting is a bad idea, if your question is off-topic in travel, you should ask a moderator to migrate it. – Dirty-flow Apr 1 '15 at 15:07
  • Ok, I wasn't sure where this question belongs to. – bjrp Apr 1 '15 at 15:14

Yes, it's mandatory.

USCIS lags behind going all digital, they still rely on checking paper documents. Whether it will get check or not is bit random, but I've checked with a few people who travel on H1 or L1 very frequently and they say that about 50% of the time they are asked for I-797. As far as I know, USCIS accepts only the originals.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.