I am a C# developer and a US citizen. I wanted to explore software development or engineering roles in start ups in EU, in particular in cities such as Amsterdam, London or Stockholm. I have a master in electrical engineering with a few years of hands on circuit design under my belt, but I have been doing enterprise software development for a few years as well. How does it work? how can I find serious job interviews in EU?
well, basically, you search tech jobs using the same sites worldwide. You may want to attend startup meet ups in cities you're targetting, but you can find them on the same meetup sites as in the US. Otherwise, you may want to have a look at:
- http://angel.co if you really want a startup experience ;
- http://jobs.stackoverflow.com if you want a bigger corp experience (usually startup are less keen to pay the careers 2.0 fee) ;
- http://linkedin.com and http://viadeo.com are also widely used in EU.
There are european categories for all the other sites as well e.g.: indeed france exception made of dice.com…
In the countries I know, i.e. France, UK and Germany, usually the recruitment process is having you go for a couple of interviews (or one if you can go on-site), and make you do some basic tech questions but more importantly look at whether your profile is a fit or not for the firm. If things work out, they take you on a double 3 month probatory period before having you definitely hired.
Then the contract and legal aspects themselves will differ from country to country.
as a general advice, you should not target wide areas, such as countries, or blurry areas such as "western europe", but more target cities so you can create filters in the search engines:
- UK: London, Nottingham
- Netherlands: Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam
- France: Paris, Lyon, Nantes
- Germany: Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Köln